Monday, February 9, 2009

A little insanity goes a long way...

There are a couple of stuff I'm planning for. Which in actual fact, I've been thinking for a pretty long time. There's two main ones to share with you.

The way I remember Singapore
I had a plan to write a billingual Coffee-Table book (you know, the kind of photographic pictorial with lots of poetic captions. Pretty much a concept book.) to record Singapore before 2010. The thought had been stuck in my mind for the longest time but no actual moves were actually executed to put it into action. Browsed a few bookshops (I browse bookshops when I'm bored, lacking inspirations or simply depressed) then dropped by a cafe round my neighbourhood yesterday and decided to get an Erdinger. I was staring into this neon signboard and a perfect phrase depicting the scene floated into my mind like magic. The lights of the city from the eyes of an 8-year old child and how the same scene is being translated differently as we age. And yes, I told myself. That is what I want to do. I want to make that thought a reality.

So today, I did a research on the local publishers and wrote to every one of them, with a brief summary of the concept. It's my first time tackling with publishers, so you could imagine I had absolutely no idea where to start from. With the recession this year, I can expect publishers are weary about selling unsolicited works. From publishing books that are more leisure than educational. I suspect I would have alot of convincing to do. The next is putting the team together. That would take alot more work. I don't mind working on the project alone really, but I recognise the fact that I may not be the best person for everything. Will keep everyone in view on the outcome. Will probably start a book blog if a publisher indicates interest. It is essential that this book is printed within a designed lead time, as it is planned to celebrate Singapore entering the new era of 2010.


The remake and rebirth of Market-Share Blog
Hosting on blogspot is great. I don't have to take care of all the templates, CMS and marketing. Blogspot is easily searchable and friendly to use. I don't have to worry about downtime because Google cannot afford to disappoint. So I am relatively happy here actually. But on the other hand, I also understand the importance of personal branding, of owning an address and "home" that helps to create an impression. And I reckon that it is best that I move back to my own host. The idea is not hard and stone yet, but plans are underway. If you have some experiences or opinions to share, I'd be more than happy to hear it out. In any case, do expect http://www.belindaang.com to be ready for access anytime today. ;-)

No comments: